Re: [oc] FireWire project update

Peter,

Thanks very much for reviewing the document. See my comments below:

>     I reviewed the spec and I don't see much information that is specific
> to the implementation other than very general feature set. Most of them
are
> copied from the spec.

The goal of the project is to have IEEE 1394a-2000 compliant cores, so we
are not planning to do anything that is different from the IEEE spec. The
link core spec is mostly for people, who do not have access to the spec or
do not have time reading through the original IEEE spec, to understand the
basic IEEE 1394 link operations. As indicated on the website, the project is
at the planning stage. We are yet to decide the detail implementations. We
will add more details into the spec as the project progresses.  My previous
email's intention was to generate some discussions in the mailing list and
to get some help from opencores folks.

> I am particularly interested in the host interface
> since the spec mentioned the core will be targeted for both OHCI and
> typical devices.

Thanks for bringing up the point. I have read datasheets of IEEE 1394 link
chips from a few vendors. There are not many differences in the Link-PHY
implementations, but on the Link-Host side, almost each chip has its own way
of implementation. So our current plan is to design one link core and
multiple host controller interface cores(Generic DMA, PCI, OHCI, etc).
Depending the number of people we have working on the project, we can either
approach the host controller cores in parallel or have to prioritize the
cores.  Again, we need help on the project. Let us know if you are
interested.

>     Also, the spec does not say clearly on complaint to which 1394 spec,
> 1394-1995 or 1394A-2000?

The cores will be compliant to 1394a-2000.

Thanks again for the feedback. As always, I'd appreciate any
comments/suggestions/help you may provide.

Jim