[openrisc] Ethernet Core Performance

Hi guys-

I am getting very close to getting the whole OpenRISC processor &
peripherals up & running on my FPGA.  I am now working the Ethernet
controller; we are using an Intel LXT972A for the PHY.  I am able to
ping & FTP, but have two issues.

1) The response seems VERY slow.  Our processor is running at 20MHz...
is can take tens of seconds to start an FTP session to a remote host,
and the xfer rate is terrible (BYTES per second on a 100Mbps
connection).

2) I am having difficulty with TELNET.  I can telnet to another machine,
but not login.  It seems that the program is not receiving input from
stdin; I am using a serial line & the UART core.  When I run the
program:
  /bin> telnet 132.158.1.28
  Trying 132.158.1.28(23)...
  Connected to 132.158.1.28.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
  Kernel 2.4.18-3 on an i686
  login:

then, after a minute or so, I get:

Connection closed by foreign host.
/bin>

and the shell receives input normally.  Anyone else seen this?

With sincere thanks,
Michael McAllister