Re: [usb] USB 2.0 high speed UTMI PHY

Rick, As you can see, I work for SMSC, so may be a bit biased here.  As far as UTMI phy vendors you are correct.
Cypress, Phillips and TI are  also in the game as far as the high speed.  Genesys is quite a  major player in USB in
Taiwan, and I wish you luck in obtaining parts.  You can obtain the SMSC phy through our distributors such as Unique or
NuHorizons.  Let me know if you have any trouble.  There is a library of application notes on our website describing the
functionality and other USB applicatons for our phy (GT3200).   A USB2.0 PHY must operate in high speed and full speed.
Low speed is not usually included in the same phy under the assumption that no one would spend the money on a high speed
phy and operate it in low speed.  The lack of low speed will never be an issue because all hosts will run at low speed
and at least full speed also.  You are correct that if the phy is used as a host it needs to support low speed.  You
will not find a high speed capable standalone phy that supports host capabilities right now.  You will see high speed
OTG phys within the next year.  In this case, they will then also support low speed and handle your host needs.  Yes,
the mode of operation is selected upon enumeration, or "powered up" as you stated.  There are a couple of full speed/low
speed OTG phys available presently.  There are also a couple of solutions with the controller integrated.  The
controller is different from what is currently posted.  Feel free to contact me about any specific details and I can
probably help you out a little more.  Good Luck.

Brian

Brian Zacher, Applications Engineer
Standard Microsystems Corporation (SMSC)
Analog Technology Center
2700 West Broadway Blvd.
Tucson AZ 85745
520-548-2982
http://www.smsc.com

                      rick.collins@ari
                      us.com                   To:      usb@opencores.org
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      owner-usb@openco         Subject: [usb] USB 2.0 high speed UTMI PHY
                      res.org

                      06/23/2003 10:31
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to usb

I have browsed the last few months of posts here and I have only seen
one UTMI PHY chip mentioned, the Lucent USS2X1.  Searching with Google
I also found a SMSC chip and one from a very tiny company (I assume)
called Genesys.

The GT3200 from SMSC seems to be in production and I can get pricing
on the web.  The Genesys GL800 part might be in production, but I
can't tell since I don't know who the distributors are.

Anyone know of other UTMI PHY chips for USB 2.0 high speed?

I also noticed that most of these chips talk about operating in either
high speed mode or full speed mode.  Are these two modes mutually
exclusive and must be selected when the device is powered up?  What
about low speed mode?  If this PHY is being used on a host, doesn't it
need to support low speed mode for those peripherals?

Will these PHY chips support USB OTG?  Seems the controller needs to
be different to handle OTG, how about the PHY?