Re: [TECH] Modem-to-Modem wire connection

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 10:21:26 CEST

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 07:56:35PM -0400, Peter Sin nicely wrote:

> Michele,
> I think you are right about the crossover. In standard
> telephone cables it seems to be the convention that
> the wires are crossed over if and only if the connectors
> at the ends have the same gender. The standard cable
> I used has (male) jacks on both ends so is crossed as
> you described.

Crossover is normal for digital signal, but I'm not totally sure
if this apply also for modem cable, because modem is a digital-2-analog
converted, in crude words and ( we know) analog signals are
indifferent to crossover problematic. On the other hand, I do not
know if one specific pin is used fro handshaking and similar.

I connected the two modem as you explained, but I havn't got a
connection yet.

Michele