Re: Novell printer support - formerly Re: An ambitious idea

From: José Luis Gómez Dans (j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 12:30:47 CET

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 12:14:07PM +0100, Gerhard Thimm wrote:

> José Luis Gómez Dans schrieb:
> > (novell printer server support is easy)
>
> Mmh, is it possible to share your knowledge with me/us? How can I use a
> novell-Printer with (mu)linux?

        Using it is not much fuss, even though this is all experimental,
but you need to get some libc binaries, and to recompile a kernel (I
didn't know whether mulinux's had support for IPX or not). Basically:
-Compile a new kernel with IPX support
-Get the ncpfs tools

        Do an ipx_configure command, and use nprint (I think it is
nprint) to print to the printer... Hold on a sec... Yep, nprint seems to
be right. As for the server, ncpfs has a (rustic/romantic) server in the
guise of nprint, as well. However, since I can't reallistically test
these things here, it's all a bit fuzzy at the moment.

        If I do some progress, I'll let you folks know,
                José

--
José L Gómez Dans			PhD student
					Radar & Communications Group