Re: [mu TECH] sendmail errors

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 18:44:27 CET

Thomas E. Lenon wrote:

> When attempting to "sendmail" I've had outbound mail returned with the
> error message "sender domain must exist".
>
> Can someone explain this?
<snip stuff about ppp and networking>

Henrik Grundberg wrote:
> transport smtp: 501 5.1.8 <root@mulinux>... Domain of
> sender address root@mulinux does not exist

I can't really offer a solution, but it looks like a problem with
sendmail (or smail) not liking your address (or rather lack of address),
rather than anything to do with routing or connections. Sendmail is
complaining that it wants a sender address with a domain in it.
Something like "sunsite.dk". The answer might be something as simple as
filling in your email address the setup of your mail agent (e.g., mutt).

Hope that is useful.

Stephen Isard