Re: Mulinux setup with ext2 partition

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 21:48:04 CET

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 11:38:16PM +0700, Andrew Criswell nicely wrote:

> If I understand you both correctly, on a larger machine, say my desktop with
> 132MB RAM and with Mandrake 7.1 already installed, I could boot the floppies
> and clone the distribution to a directory, say /root/mulinux. Then, tarball
> the /root/mulinux directory and copy it to my 4MB notebook.

No, it is not totally correct. You can unpack the distro in /root/mulinux
either for an ispection, either for modify the source tree, but this
is not required for the cloning process itself.

The cloning process requires always a muLinux system up-and-running
in RAM: after that, cloning will copy RAM->EVERYWHERE.

With 4MB machines we toujour had got problems, because muLinux ( a RAM
based system) waste RAM with its static filesystem, and not only in order
to run a program.

You have to put the floppy #1 from muLinux in the destination machine
and reboot. If you can reach the prompt, you have to clone this embrional
system in your ext2 partition, without addons.

After the childbirdh, you have the chance to load the addons in the new
system.

With 4MB, you must setup a swap partition as soon is possible, but
usually muLinux stops, because is unable to run any single command,
telling you something like "can't fork()".

Michele

--
In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen