Re[2]: How to install StarOffice in muLinux ?

From: Maxim Belooussov (m.belooussov@chello.nl)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 16:59:51 CEST

Hello Karl-Heinz,

Hey, what about "VectorLinux" (www.%.com)?

It's small, fast, needs little RAM and hd space, but is fully
functional + includes Siag Office.

KHZ> The _only_ way to get a Linux based solution with something _similiar_
KHZ> to Word and Excel would be to change your mind: put ~ 64 MB RAM in the
KHZ> machines and run StarOffice.

I ran Vector Linux on my machine with 16 ram (+32 swap) and X-windows
worked without a hitch. IceWM is very capable and good-looking, too.

And it takes Slackware 8.0 tgz, RedHat RPM, even Debian deb packaging
nicely!

KHZ> But - to be honest - I still hope you come to the conclusion that giving
KHZ> them good, solid _TeX_ boxes will be a good choice: by starting with LxY
KHZ> people could have a comfortable access to the LaTeX world and sooner or
KHZ> later they would dig deeper into the LaTeX concepts...

Karl, TeX is mainly done for "serious" writers, where 100 hours of
study pay-off in not having to manually edit the document later. But
do not expect all users to sit down and study latex. It just not
gonna happen. Most of them want to magically go to a PC and just start
working "professionally"...

--
Best regards,
 Maxim