mu TECH Hum, not so easy...

From: Guillaume Cornet (CornetGJ@Cardiff.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 02:07:09 CEST

Michele,

Since I can't mount my home directory, and I don't want to use floppy
disks anymore, I have decided to use loadlin.

I ran muLinux once more with the floppy disks, and I created a 4096k
ramdisk. I put all in it, except /usr, /tmp, /proc (of course).

Then I picked some additionnal binaries in /usr, to get at 97%... I
took ftp and ftpget.

Then

# umount /dev/ram15
# dd if=/dev/ram15 | gzip -v9 | ftpget -h host \
   -u myself \
   -p mypassword \
   -d remotedir/ \
   -f initrd.fs.gz \
   -i

I am quite proud of that line, and it worked! It replaces a local
hard disk!

I hope that I will be able later to download (without the -i) some
other loop devices (that I will make) from a free unix shell account
I have just open (10Mb, and I can open other accounts elsewhere if I
need). Instead of putting floppy disks in the machine, I just reboot
the machine, select the true dos at boot time, then launch my batch
file. (The kernel is named TheDoors.zip, and the filesystem mp3.zip ;-
]) That is not a difficult job... just renaming files.

But it turns difficult, after. The kernel loads the initrd, and then
I get a message "low memory, you need swap space".
I say "0" for doing it myself, I am dropped to a shell, I do nothing
since I don't have any swap to give to it, I type exit. Then the boot
process goes on until a kernel panic.

My question :

Should I use syslinux on a filesystem (like the installation/rescue
floppy), and pass a init=my_script parameter ?
How do I manage for getting my filesystem loaded in RAM and then a
login prompt, bypassing all the muLinux scripts. (I can call the
*.fun scripts one by one in my rc.local, no?)

I also think that rc.local could download the other loopdevices from
my shell account.

            ***Wait, please, the system is being downloaded***

Why not ? I don't need X11, just USR, SRV, WKS and sometimes GCC...
and then a IPX addon, if possible. And it is a good connection, here.
I can also find a shell account in UK, I suppose, to go faster.

Last year I had SuSE and not Internet (just a little local network
with friends). But it is much more fun with muLinux and the net!

I am conscious that my questions do not concern exactly muLinux,
since I want to create my own system, suitable for a poor guy without
any disk space. So if you are bored with all that, feel free not to
answer.

Guillaume
Guillaume Cornet
Talybont North