Re: string manipulation / cut & paste

From: Joshua Hudson (joshudson@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 01:17:25 CET

>From: "Alfie Costa" <agcosta@gis.net>
>
>On 14 Nov 2001, at 12:53, Joshua Hudson <mulinux@sunsite.dk> wrote:
>
> > I have prepared reduced versions of cut & paste utilities
> > that work well on mulinux.
>
>Are there any links that describe what 'cut' & 'paste' do? I looked on
>www.linuxassembly.org, and found nothing. I looked in some Unix books --
>also
>nothing. Checked an online man page -- it had a syntax entry for 'cut' but
>no
>description. They're mystery commands.

Cut and paste are standard UNIX utilities. They are
useful for manipulating files that have data
stored in collumns.

One good example is converting /etc/passwd
to /etc/shadow. It starts like this:
cut -d: -f1,2 /etc/passwd > /etc/stmp
paste -d: /etc/stmp /etc/5colons

Basically, cut extracts fields from files and displays
only those fields. It can also operate only on certain
colums of character-sorted data. Paste puts the files
back together.