Re: Need more (flash) disk space

From: Jochen Cichon (j.cichon@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 13:13:54 CET

> I'm running muLinux on a Pentium system with 64MB Ram and a 32MB
Flash-Disk (absolutely noiseless ;-).
> This works fine. But after cloning with all my addons I've only about 3MB
of free disk space.

> To save some disk space I want to run all my addons on a RAM Disk and
store as tar-archives to the Flash-Disk. Therefore muLinux must them all
extract during startup.

> Does anybody know a simple solution for that?

Yes I do.

I've done something like that.

You start a
    find . -name "*"
that should list EVERY file.
with the 'file' program you can see if its a binary or not.
If it says something like ELF-32.. executable... FINE

So you can TRY this (not proved)
--- pack.sh ---
#!/bin/sh

for i in `find / -name "*"`
do
    file $i|grep executable >/dev/null && upx $i
done

---
If you want to see whats going on add the following line after 'do'
    echo $i
That script should crawl through the hd and squeeze every executable
(hopefully)
I've tried something like that before that saves about 10 Meg (or so...)
Joschi