Re: mulinux13r2tgz

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 19:16:32 CEST

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 06:56:59PM +0200, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 October 2002 18:42, Michele Andreoli wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I wasn't suggesting that anything should be removed. I'll try
> > > updating the items in the faq to refer to SRV or WKS or whatever is now
> > > appropriate and send you the results.
> >
> > Alert! I do not use document html. I have .m4 for the faq.
> > I've to do myself!
>
> What is ".m4" ?
>
> Couldn't we edit such files ?

yes. They are text files, with some customization function in it.
Using M4, there files are translated, with word substitution.

As esample, if I have the file:

                index.m4
                ----------------
                <h1> muLinux version VERSION </h1>
                ----------------------------------

it get expanded as:

                index.html
                ----------------
                <h1> muLinux version VERSION </h1>
                ----------------------------------

I release on the site a faq.tgz with these M4 sources.
The mantainer (we have no FAQ mantainer, of course) should edit this files,
without boring with HTML formatting.

I use largely this mechanism when create my little web page.

As different example, this is the mulinux.m4, used on the
mulinux site in DK:

PAGE_START(muLinux version VERSION CODENAME)
PAGE(
{
include(menu.m4)
},{

H1(What is MuLinux)

text ... text

}
)

PAGE_END

As You can see, I created a few macros in order to crate web page
on the fly, using the same layout.

Michele

--
"Physics is like sex: it may give some practical
results, but that's not why we do it"  (Richard Feynman)