Subject: CVE-2024-39508: io_uring/io-wq: Use set_bit() and test_bit() at worker->flags

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

io_uring/io-wq: Use set_bit() and test_bit() at worker->flags

Utilize set_bit() and test_bit() on worker->flags within io_uring/io-wq
to address potential data races.

The structure io_worker->flags may be accessed through various data
paths, leading to concurrency issues. When KCSAN is enabled, it reveals
data races occurring in io_worker_handle_work and
io_wq_activate_free_worker functions.

	 BUG: KCSAN: data-race in io_worker_handle_work / io_wq_activate_free_worker
	 write to 0xffff8885c4246404 of 4 bytes by task 49071 on cpu 28:
	 io_worker_handle_work (io_uring/io-wq.c:434 io_uring/io-wq.c:569)
	 io_wq_worker (io_uring/io-wq.c:?)
<snip>

	 read to 0xffff8885c4246404 of 4 bytes by task 49024 on cpu 5:
	 io_wq_activate_free_worker (io_uring/io-wq.c:? io_uring/io-wq.c:285)
	 io_wq_enqueue (io_uring/io-wq.c:947)
	 io_queue_iowq (io_uring/io_uring.c:524)
	 io_req_task_submit (io_uring/io_uring.c:1511)
	 io_handle_tw_list (io_uring/io_uring.c:1198)
<snip>

Line numbers against commit 18daea77cca6 ("Merge tag 'for-linus' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm").

These races involve writes and reads to the same memory location by
different tasks running on different CPUs. To mitigate this, refactor
the code to use atomic operations such as set_bit(), test_bit(), and
clear_bit() instead of basic "and" and "or" operations. This ensures
thread-safe manipulation of worker flags.

Also, move `create_index` to avoid holes in the structure.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-39508 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.6.35 with commit ab702c3483db
	Fixed in 6.9.6 with commit 1cbb0affb154
	Fixed in 6.10 with commit 8a565304927f

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-39508
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	io_uring/io-wq.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ab702c3483db9046bab9f40306f1a28b22dbbdc0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1cbb0affb15470a9621267fe0a8568007553a4bf
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8a565304927fbd28c9f028c492b5c1714002cbab