Subject: CVE-2024-40901: scsi: mpt3sas: Avoid test/set_bit() operating in non-allocated memory

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

scsi: mpt3sas: Avoid test/set_bit() operating in non-allocated memory

There is a potential out-of-bounds access when using test_bit() on a single
word. The test_bit() and set_bit() functions operate on long values, and
when testing or setting a single word, they can exceed the word
boundary. KASAN detects this issue and produces a dump:

	 BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in _scsih_add_device.constprop.0 (./arch/x86/include/asm/bitops.h:60 ./include/asm-generic/bitops/instrumented-atomic.h:29 drivers/scsi/mpt3sas/mpt3sas_scsih.c:7331) mpt3sas

	 Write of size 8 at addr ffff8881d26e3c60 by task kworker/u1536:2/2965

For full log, please look at [1].

Make the allocation at least the size of sizeof(unsigned long) so that
set_bit() and test_bit() have sufficient room for read/write operations
without overwriting unallocated memory.

[1] Link: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-40901 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit c696f7b83ede and fixed in 4.19.317 with commit e9bce7c751f6
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit c696f7b83ede and fixed in 5.4.279 with commit 19649e49a6df
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit c696f7b83ede and fixed in 5.10.221 with commit 0081d2b3ae0a
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit c696f7b83ede and fixed in 5.15.162 with commit 521f333e644c
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit c696f7b83ede and fixed in 6.1.95 with commit 46bab2bcd771
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit c696f7b83ede and fixed in 6.6.35 with commit 9079338c5a0d
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit c696f7b83ede and fixed in 6.9.6 with commit 18abb5db0aa9
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit c696f7b83ede and fixed in 6.10 with commit 4254dfeda82f

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-40901
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/scsi/mpt3sas/mpt3sas_base.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e9bce7c751f6d6c7be88c0bc081a66aaf61a23ee
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/19649e49a6df07cd2e03e0a11396fd3a99485ec2
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0081d2b3ae0a17a86b8cc0fa3c8bdc54e233ba16
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/521f333e644c4246ca04a4fc4772edc53dd2a801
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/46bab2bcd771e725ff5ca3a68ba68cfeac45676c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9079338c5a0d1f1fee34fb1c9e99b754efe414c5
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/18abb5db0aa9b2d48f7037a88b41af2eef821674
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4254dfeda82f20844299dca6c38cbffcfd499f41