Subject: CVE-2024-41031: mm/filemap: skip to create PMD-sized page cache if needed

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

mm/filemap: skip to create PMD-sized page cache if needed

On ARM64, HPAGE_PMD_ORDER is 13 when the base page size is 64KB.  The
PMD-sized page cache can't be supported by xarray as the following error
messages indicate.

------------[ cut here ]------------
WARNING: CPU: 35 PID: 7484 at lib/xarray.c:1025 xas_split_alloc+0xf8/0x128
Modules linked in: nft_fib_inet nft_fib_ipv4 nft_fib_ipv6 nft_fib  \
nft_reject_inet nf_reject_ipv4 nf_reject_ipv6 nft_reject nft_ct    \
nft_chain_nat nf_nat nf_conntrack nf_defrag_ipv6 nf_defrag_ipv4    \
ip_set rfkill nf_tables nfnetlink vfat fat virtio_balloon drm      \
fuse xfs libcrc32c crct10dif_ce ghash_ce sha2_ce sha256_arm64      \
sha1_ce virtio_net net_failover virtio_console virtio_blk failover \
dimlib virtio_mmio
CPU: 35 PID: 7484 Comm: test Kdump: loaded Tainted: G W 6.10.0-rc5-gavin+ #9
Hardware name: QEMU KVM Virtual Machine, BIOS edk2-20240524-1.el9 05/24/2024
pstate: 83400005 (Nzcv daif +PAN -UAO +TCO +DIT -SSBS BTYPE=--)
pc : xas_split_alloc+0xf8/0x128
lr : split_huge_page_to_list_to_order+0x1c4/0x720
sp : ffff800087a4f6c0
x29: ffff800087a4f6c0 x28: ffff800087a4f720 x27: 000000001fffffff
x26: 0000000000000c40 x25: 000000000000000d x24: ffff00010625b858
x23: ffff800087a4f720 x22: ffffffdfc0780000 x21: 0000000000000000
x20: 0000000000000000 x19: ffffffdfc0780000 x18: 000000001ff40000
x17: 00000000ffffffff x16: 0000018000000000 x15: 51ec004000000000
x14: 0000e00000000000 x13: 0000000000002000 x12: 0000000000000020
x11: 51ec000000000000 x10: 51ece1c0ffff8000 x9 : ffffbeb961a44d28
x8 : 0000000000000003 x7 : ffffffdfc0456420 x6 : ffff0000e1aa6eb8
x5 : 20bf08b4fe778fca x4 : ffffffdfc0456420 x3 : 0000000000000c40
x2 : 000000000000000d x1 : 000000000000000c x0 : 0000000000000000
Call trace:
 xas_split_alloc+0xf8/0x128
 split_huge_page_to_list_to_order+0x1c4/0x720
 truncate_inode_partial_folio+0xdc/0x160
 truncate_inode_pages_range+0x1b4/0x4a8
 truncate_pagecache_range+0x84/0xa0
 xfs_flush_unmap_range+0x70/0x90 [xfs]
 xfs_file_fallocate+0xfc/0x4d8 [xfs]
 vfs_fallocate+0x124/0x2e8
 ksys_fallocate+0x4c/0xa0
 __arm64_sys_fallocate+0x24/0x38
 invoke_syscall.constprop.0+0x7c/0xd8
 do_el0_svc+0xb4/0xd0
 el0_svc+0x44/0x1d8
 el0t_64_sync_handler+0x134/0x150
 el0t_64_sync+0x17c/0x180

Fix it by skipping to allocate PMD-sized page cache when its size is
larger than MAX_PAGECACHE_ORDER.  For this specific case, we will fall to
regular path where the readahead window is determined by BDI's sysfs file
(read_ahead_kb).

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-41031 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.18 with commit 4687fdbb805a and fixed in 6.6.41 with commit 06b5a69c27ec
	Issue introduced in 5.18 with commit 4687fdbb805a and fixed in 6.9.10 with commit 1ef650d3b1b2
	Issue introduced in 5.18 with commit 4687fdbb805a and fixed in 6.10 with commit 3390916aca7a

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-41031
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	mm/filemap.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/06b5a69c27ec405a3c3f2da8520ff1ee70b94a21
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1ef650d3b1b2a16473981b447f38705fe9b93972
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3390916aca7af1893ed2ebcdfee1d6fdb65bb058