Subject: CVE-2024-41074: cachefiles: Set object to close if ondemand_id < 0 in copen

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

cachefiles: Set object to close if ondemand_id < 0 in copen

If copen is maliciously called in the user mode, it may delete the request
corresponding to the random id. And the request may have not been read yet.

Note that when the object is set to reopen, the open request will be done
with the still reopen state in above case. As a result, the request
corresponding to this object is always skipped in select_req function, so
the read request is never completed and blocks other process.

Fix this issue by simply set object to close if its id < 0 in copen.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-41074 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.1.101 with commit 703bea37d13e
	Fixed in 6.6.42 with commit c32ee78fbc67
	Fixed in 6.9.11 with commit 0845c553db11
	Fixed in 6.10 with commit 4f8703fb3482

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-41074
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/cachefiles/ondemand.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/703bea37d13e4ccdafd17ae7c4cb583752ba7663
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c32ee78fbc670e6f90989a45d340748e34cad333
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0845c553db11c84ff53fccd59da11b6d6ece4a60
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4f8703fb3482f92edcfd31661857b16fec89c2c0