Subject: CVE-2024-42068: bpf: Take return from set_memory_ro() into account with bpf_prog_lock_ro()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

bpf: Take return from set_memory_ro() into account with bpf_prog_lock_ro()

set_memory_ro() can fail, leaving memory unprotected.

Check its return and take it into account as an error.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42068 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.15.162 with commit a359696856ca
	Fixed in 6.1.97 with commit e4f602e3ff74
	Fixed in 6.6.37 with commit fdd411af8178
	Fixed in 6.6.38 with commit e3540e5a7054
	Fixed in 6.9.8 with commit 05412471beba
	Fixed in 6.10 with commit 7d2cc63eca0c

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42068
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	include/linux/filter.h
	kernel/bpf/core.c
	kernel/bpf/verifier.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a359696856ca9409fb97655c5a8ef0f549cb6e03
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e4f602e3ff749ba770bf8ff10196e18358de6720
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fdd411af8178edc6b7bf260f8fa4fba1bedd0a6d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e3540e5a7054d6daaf9a1415a48aacb092112a89
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/05412471beba313ecded95aa17b25fe84bb2551a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7d2cc63eca0c993c99d18893214abf8f85d566d8