Subject: CVE-2024-42106: inet_diag: Initialize pad field in struct inet_diag_req_v2

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

inet_diag: Initialize pad field in struct inet_diag_req_v2

KMSAN reported uninit-value access in raw_lookup() [1]. Diag for raw
sockets uses the pad field in struct inet_diag_req_v2 for the
underlying protocol. This field corresponds to the sdiag_raw_protocol
field in struct inet_diag_req_raw.

inet_diag_get_exact_compat() converts inet_diag_req to
inet_diag_req_v2, but leaves the pad field uninitialized. So the issue
occurs when raw_lookup() accesses the sdiag_raw_protocol field.

Fix this by initializing the pad field in
inet_diag_get_exact_compat(). Also, do the same fix in
inet_diag_dump_compat() to avoid the similar issue in the future.

[1]
BUG: KMSAN: uninit-value in raw_lookup net/ipv4/raw_diag.c:49 [inline]
BUG: KMSAN: uninit-value in raw_sock_get+0x657/0x800 net/ipv4/raw_diag.c:71
 raw_lookup net/ipv4/raw_diag.c:49 [inline]
 raw_sock_get+0x657/0x800 net/ipv4/raw_diag.c:71
 raw_diag_dump_one+0xa1/0x660 net/ipv4/raw_diag.c:99
 inet_diag_cmd_exact+0x7d9/0x980
 inet_diag_get_exact_compat net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:1404 [inline]
 inet_diag_rcv_msg_compat+0x469/0x530 net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:1426
 sock_diag_rcv_msg+0x23d/0x740 net/core/sock_diag.c:282
 netlink_rcv_skb+0x537/0x670 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2564
 sock_diag_rcv+0x35/0x40 net/core/sock_diag.c:297
 netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1335 [inline]
 netlink_unicast+0xe74/0x1240 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1361
 netlink_sendmsg+0x10c6/0x1260 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1905
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:730 [inline]
 __sock_sendmsg+0x332/0x3d0 net/socket.c:745
 ____sys_sendmsg+0x7f0/0xb70 net/socket.c:2585
 ___sys_sendmsg+0x271/0x3b0 net/socket.c:2639
 __sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2668 [inline]
 __do_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2677 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2675 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x27e/0x4a0 net/socket.c:2675
 x64_sys_call+0x135e/0x3ce0 arch/x86/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:47
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0xd9/0x1e0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

Uninit was stored to memory at:
 raw_sock_get+0x650/0x800 net/ipv4/raw_diag.c:71
 raw_diag_dump_one+0xa1/0x660 net/ipv4/raw_diag.c:99
 inet_diag_cmd_exact+0x7d9/0x980
 inet_diag_get_exact_compat net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:1404 [inline]
 inet_diag_rcv_msg_compat+0x469/0x530 net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:1426
 sock_diag_rcv_msg+0x23d/0x740 net/core/sock_diag.c:282
 netlink_rcv_skb+0x537/0x670 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2564
 sock_diag_rcv+0x35/0x40 net/core/sock_diag.c:297
 netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1335 [inline]
 netlink_unicast+0xe74/0x1240 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1361
 netlink_sendmsg+0x10c6/0x1260 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1905
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:730 [inline]
 __sock_sendmsg+0x332/0x3d0 net/socket.c:745
 ____sys_sendmsg+0x7f0/0xb70 net/socket.c:2585
 ___sys_sendmsg+0x271/0x3b0 net/socket.c:2639
 __sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2668 [inline]
 __do_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2677 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2675 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x27e/0x4a0 net/socket.c:2675
 x64_sys_call+0x135e/0x3ce0 arch/x86/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:47
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0xd9/0x1e0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

Local variable req.i created at:
 inet_diag_get_exact_compat net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:1396 [inline]
 inet_diag_rcv_msg_compat+0x2a6/0x530 net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:1426
 sock_diag_rcv_msg+0x23d/0x740 net/core/sock_diag.c:282

CPU: 1 PID: 8888 Comm: syz-executor.6 Not tainted 6.10.0-rc4-00217-g35bb670d65fc #32
Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS 1.16.3-2.fc40 04/01/2014

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42106 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 432490f9d455 and fixed in 4.19.318 with commit 7094a5fd20ab
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 432490f9d455 and fixed in 5.4.280 with commit 0184bf0a349f
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 432490f9d455 and fixed in 5.10.222 with commit 7ef519c8efde
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 432490f9d455 and fixed in 5.15.163 with commit 8366720519ea
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 432490f9d455 and fixed in 6.1.98 with commit d6f487e0704d
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 432490f9d455 and fixed in 6.6.39 with commit 76965648fe68
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 432490f9d455 and fixed in 6.9.9 with commit f9b2010e8af4
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 432490f9d455 and fixed in 6.10 with commit 61cf1c739f08

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42106
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/ipv4/inet_diag.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7094a5fd20ab66028f1da7f06e0f2692d70346f9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0184bf0a349f4cf9e663abbe862ff280e8e4dfa2
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7ef519c8efde152e0d632337f2994f6921e0b7e4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8366720519ea8d322a20780debdfd23d9fc0904a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d6f487e0704de2f2d15f8dd5d7d723210f2b2fdb
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/76965648fe6858db7c5f3c700fef7aa5f124ca1c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f9b2010e8af49fac9d9562146fb81744d8a9b051
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/61cf1c739f08190a4cbf047b9fbb192a94d87e3f