Subject: CVE-2024-42107: ice: Don't process extts if PTP is disabled

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ice: Don't process extts if PTP is disabled

The ice_ptp_extts_event() function can race with ice_ptp_release() and
result in a NULL pointer dereference which leads to a kernel panic.

Panic occurs because the ice_ptp_extts_event() function calls
ptp_clock_event() with a NULL pointer. The ice driver has already
released the PTP clock by the time the interrupt for the next external
timestamp event occurs.

To fix this, modify the ice_ptp_extts_event() function to check the
PTP state and bail early if PTP is not ready.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42107 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit 172db5f91d5f and fixed in 6.9.9 with commit 1c4e52481191
	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit 172db5f91d5f and fixed in 6.10 with commit 996422e3230e

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42107
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_ptp.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1c4e524811918600683b1ea87a5e0fc2db64fa9b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/996422e3230e41468f652d754fefd1bdbcd4604e