Subject: CVE-2024-42257: ext4: use memtostr_pad() for s_volume_name

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ext4: use memtostr_pad() for s_volume_name

As with the other strings in struct ext4_super_block, s_volume_name is
not NUL terminated. The other strings were marked in commit 072ebb3bffe6
("ext4: add nonstring annotations to ext4.h"). Using strscpy() isn't
the right replacement for strncpy(); it should use memtostr_pad()
instead.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42257 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit 744a56389f73 and fixed in 6.10.1 with commit 4378be89ddb7
	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit 744a56389f73 and fixed in 6.11 with commit be27cd64461c

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42257
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/ext4/ext4.h
	fs/ext4/ioctl.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4378be89ddb7de88d984b67ecfd6191686c42817
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/be27cd64461c45a6088a91a04eba5cd44e1767ef