Subject: CVE-2024-42266: btrfs: make cow_file_range_inline() honor locked_page on error

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

btrfs: make cow_file_range_inline() honor locked_page on error

The btrfs buffered write path runs through __extent_writepage() which
has some tricky return value handling for writepage_delalloc().
Specifically, when that returns 1, we exit, but for other return values
we continue and end up calling btrfs_folio_end_all_writers(). If the
folio has been unlocked (note that we check the PageLocked bit at the
start of __extent_writepage()), this results in an assert panic like
this one from syzbot:

  BTRFS: error (device loop0 state EAL) in free_log_tree:3267: errno=-5 IO failure
  BTRFS warning (device loop0 state EAL): Skipping commit of aborted transaction.
  BTRFS: error (device loop0 state EAL) in cleanup_transaction:2018: errno=-5 IO failure
  assertion failed: folio_test_locked(folio), in fs/btrfs/subpage.c:871
  ------------[ cut here ]------------
  kernel BUG at fs/btrfs/subpage.c:871!
  Oops: invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP KASAN PTI
  CPU: 1 PID: 5090 Comm: syz-executor225 Not tainted
  6.10.0-syzkaller-05505-gb1bc554e009e #0
  Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS
  Google 06/27/2024
  RIP: 0010:btrfs_folio_end_all_writers+0x55b/0x610 fs/btrfs/subpage.c:871
  Code: e9 d3 fb ff ff e8 25 22 c2 fd 48 c7 c7 c0 3c 0e 8c 48 c7 c6 80 3d
  0e 8c 48 c7 c2 60 3c 0e 8c b9 67 03 00 00 e8 66 47 ad 07 90 <0f> 0b e8
  6e 45 b0 07 4c 89 ff be 08 00 00 00 e8 21 12 25 fe 4c 89
  RSP: 0018:ffffc900033d72e0 EFLAGS: 00010246
  RAX: 0000000000000045 RBX: 00fff0000000402c RCX: 663b7a08c50a0a00
  RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: 0000000080000000 RDI: 0000000000000000
  RBP: ffffc900033d73b0 R08: ffffffff8176b98c R09: 1ffff9200067adfc
  R10: dffffc0000000000 R11: fffff5200067adfd R12: 0000000000000001
  R13: dffffc0000000000 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: ffffea0001cbee80
  FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff8880b9500000(0000)
  knlGS:0000000000000000
  CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
  CR2: 00007f5f076012f8 CR3: 000000000e134000 CR4: 00000000003506f0
  DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2: 0000000000000000
  DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000fffe0ff0 DR7: 0000000000000400
  Call Trace:
  <TASK>
  __extent_writepage fs/btrfs/extent_io.c:1597 [inline]
  extent_write_cache_pages fs/btrfs/extent_io.c:2251 [inline]
  btrfs_writepages+0x14d7/0x2760 fs/btrfs/extent_io.c:2373
  do_writepages+0x359/0x870 mm/page-writeback.c:2656
  filemap_fdatawrite_wbc+0x125/0x180 mm/filemap.c:397
  __filemap_fdatawrite_range mm/filemap.c:430 [inline]
  __filemap_fdatawrite mm/filemap.c:436 [inline]
  filemap_flush+0xdf/0x130 mm/filemap.c:463
  btrfs_release_file+0x117/0x130 fs/btrfs/file.c:1547
  __fput+0x24a/0x8a0 fs/file_table.c:422
  task_work_run+0x24f/0x310 kernel/task_work.c:222
  exit_task_work include/linux/task_work.h:40 [inline]
  do_exit+0xa2f/0x27f0 kernel/exit.c:877
  do_group_exit+0x207/0x2c0 kernel/exit.c:1026
  __do_sys_exit_group kernel/exit.c:1037 [inline]
  __se_sys_exit_group kernel/exit.c:1035 [inline]
  __x64_sys_exit_group+0x3f/0x40 kernel/exit.c:1035
  x64_sys_call+0x2634/0x2640
  arch/x86/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:232
  do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
  do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f
  RIP: 0033:0x7f5f075b70c9
  Code: Unable to access opcode bytes at
  0x7f5f075b709f.

I was hitting the same issue by doing hundreds of accelerated runs of
generic/475, which also hits IO errors by design.

I instrumented that reproducer with bpftrace and found that the
undesirable folio_unlock was coming from the following callstack:

  folio_unlock+5
  __process_pages_contig+475
  cow_file_range_inline.constprop.0+230
  cow_file_range+803
  btrfs_run_delalloc_range+566
  writepage_delalloc+332
  __extent_writepage # inlined in my stacktrace, but I added it here
  extent_write_cache_pages+622

Looking at the bisected-to patch in the syzbot report, Josef realized
that the logic of the cow_file_range_inline error path subtly changing.
In the past, on error, it jumped to out_unlock in cow_file_range(),
which honors the locked_page, so when we ultimately call
folio_end_all_writers(), the folio of interest is still locked. After
the change, we always unlocked ignoring the locked_page, on both success
and error. On the success path, this all results in returning 1 to
__extent_writepage(), which skips the folio_end_all_writers() call,
which makes it OK to have unlocked.

Fix the bug by wiring the locked_page into cow_file_range_inline() and
only setting locked_page to NULL on success.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42266 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit 0586d0a89e77 and fixed in 6.10.4 with commit 061e41581606
	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit 0586d0a89e77 and fixed in 6.11 with commit 478574370bef

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42266
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/btrfs/inode.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/061e41581606000a83ce0f0f01d6ad338f3704e9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/478574370bef7951fbd9ef5155537d6cbed49472