Subject: CVE-2024-45000: fs/netfs/fscache_cookie: add missing "n_accesses" check

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

fs/netfs/fscache_cookie: add missing "n_accesses" check

This fixes a NULL pointer dereference bug due to a data race which
looks like this:

  BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 0000000000000008
  #PF: supervisor read access in kernel mode
  #PF: error_code(0x0000) - not-present page
  PGD 0 P4D 0
  Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP PTI
  CPU: 33 PID: 16573 Comm: kworker/u97:799 Not tainted 6.8.7-cm4all1-hp+ #43
  Hardware name: HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9/ProLiant DL380 Gen9, BIOS P89 10/17/2018
  Workqueue: events_unbound netfs_rreq_write_to_cache_work
  RIP: 0010:cachefiles_prepare_write+0x30/0xa0
  Code: 57 41 56 45 89 ce 41 55 49 89 cd 41 54 49 89 d4 55 53 48 89 fb 48 83 ec 08 48 8b 47 08 48 83 7f 10 00 48 89 34 24 48 8b 68 20 <48> 8b 45 08 4c 8b 38 74 45 49 8b 7f 50 e8 4e a9 b0 ff 48 8b 73 10
  RSP: 0018:ffffb4e78113bde0 EFLAGS: 00010286
  RAX: ffff976126be6d10 RBX: ffff97615cdb8438 RCX: 0000000000020000
  RDX: ffff97605e6c4c68 RSI: ffff97605e6c4c60 RDI: ffff97615cdb8438
  RBP: 0000000000000000 R08: 0000000000278333 R09: 0000000000000001
  R10: ffff97605e6c4600 R11: 0000000000000001 R12: ffff97605e6c4c68
  R13: 0000000000020000 R14: 0000000000000001 R15: ffff976064fe2c00
  FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff9776dfd40000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
  CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
  CR2: 0000000000000008 CR3: 000000005942c002 CR4: 00000000001706f0
  Call Trace:
   <TASK>
   ? __die+0x1f/0x70
   ? page_fault_oops+0x15d/0x440
   ? search_module_extables+0xe/0x40
   ? fixup_exception+0x22/0x2f0
   ? exc_page_fault+0x5f/0x100
   ? asm_exc_page_fault+0x22/0x30
   ? cachefiles_prepare_write+0x30/0xa0
   netfs_rreq_write_to_cache_work+0x135/0x2e0
   process_one_work+0x137/0x2c0
   worker_thread+0x2e9/0x400
   ? __pfx_worker_thread+0x10/0x10
   kthread+0xcc/0x100
   ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
   ret_from_fork+0x30/0x50
   ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
   ret_from_fork_asm+0x1b/0x30
   </TASK>
  Modules linked in:
  CR2: 0000000000000008
  ---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---

This happened because fscache_cookie_state_machine() was slow and was
still running while another process invoked fscache_unuse_cookie();
this led to a fscache_cookie_lru_do_one() call, setting the
FSCACHE_COOKIE_DO_LRU_DISCARD flag, which was picked up by
fscache_cookie_state_machine(), withdrawing the cookie via
cachefiles_withdraw_cookie(), clearing cookie->cache_priv.

At the same time, yet another process invoked
cachefiles_prepare_write(), which found a NULL pointer in this code
line:

  struct cachefiles_object *object = cachefiles_cres_object(cres);

The next line crashes, obviously:

  struct cachefiles_cache *cache = object->volume->cache;

During cachefiles_prepare_write(), the "n_accesses" counter is
non-zero (via fscache_begin_operation()).  The cookie must not be
withdrawn until it drops to zero.

The counter is checked by fscache_cookie_state_machine() before
switching to FSCACHE_COOKIE_STATE_RELINQUISHING and
FSCACHE_COOKIE_STATE_WITHDRAWING (in "case
FSCACHE_COOKIE_STATE_FAILED"), but not for
FSCACHE_COOKIE_STATE_LRU_DISCARDING ("case
FSCACHE_COOKIE_STATE_ACTIVE").

This patch adds the missing check.  With a non-zero access counter,
the function returns and the next fscache_end_cookie_access() call
will queue another fscache_cookie_state_machine() call to handle the
still-pending FSCACHE_COOKIE_DO_LRU_DISCARD.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-45000 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 12bb21a29c19 and fixed in 6.1.107 with commit b8a50877f68e
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 12bb21a29c19 and fixed in 6.6.48 with commit dfaa39b05a6c
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 12bb21a29c19 and fixed in 6.10.7 with commit 0a4d41fa14b2
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 12bb21a29c19 and fixed in 6.11 with commit f71aa06398aa

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-45000
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/netfs/fscache_cookie.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b8a50877f68efdcc0be3fcc5116e00c31b90e45b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/dfaa39b05a6cf34a16c525a2759ee6ab26b5fef6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0a4d41fa14b2a0efd40e350cfe8ec6a4c998ac1d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f71aa06398aabc2e3eaac25acdf3d62e0094ba70