Subject: CVE-2024-45003: vfs: Don't evict inode under the inode lru traversing context

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

vfs: Don't evict inode under the inode lru traversing context

The inode reclaiming process(See function prune_icache_sb) collects all
reclaimable inodes and mark them with I_FREEING flag at first, at that
time, other processes will be stuck if they try getting these inodes
(See function find_inode_fast), then the reclaiming process destroy the
inodes by function dispose_list(). Some filesystems(eg. ext4 with
ea_inode feature, ubifs with xattr) may do inode lookup in the inode
evicting callback function, if the inode lookup is operated under the
inode lru traversing context, deadlock problems may happen.

Case 1: In function ext4_evict_inode(), the ea inode lookup could happen
        if ea_inode feature is enabled, the lookup process will be stuck
	under the evicting context like this:

 1. File A has inode i_reg and an ea inode i_ea
 2. getfattr(A, xattr_buf) // i_ea is added into lru // lru->i_ea
 3. Then, following three processes running like this:

    PA                              PB
 echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
  shrink_slab
   prune_dcache_sb
   // i_reg is added into lru, lru->i_ea->i_reg
   prune_icache_sb
    list_lru_walk_one
     inode_lru_isolate
      i_ea->i_state |= I_FREEING // set inode state
     inode_lru_isolate
      __iget(i_reg)
      spin_unlock(&i_reg->i_lock)
      spin_unlock(lru_lock)
                                     rm file A
                                      i_reg->nlink = 0
      iput(i_reg) // i_reg->nlink is 0, do evict
       ext4_evict_inode
        ext4_xattr_delete_inode
         ext4_xattr_inode_dec_ref_all
          ext4_xattr_inode_iget
           ext4_iget(i_ea->i_ino)
            iget_locked
             find_inode_fast
              __wait_on_freeing_inode(i_ea) ----→ AA deadlock
    dispose_list // cannot be executed by prune_icache_sb
     wake_up_bit(&i_ea->i_state)

Case 2: In deleted inode writing function ubifs_jnl_write_inode(), file
        deleting process holds BASEHD's wbuf->io_mutex while getting the
	xattr inode, which could race with inode reclaiming process(The
        reclaiming process could try locking BASEHD's wbuf->io_mutex in
	inode evicting function), then an ABBA deadlock problem would
	happen as following:

 1. File A has inode ia and a xattr(with inode ixa), regular file B has
    inode ib and a xattr.
 2. getfattr(A, xattr_buf) // ixa is added into lru // lru->ixa
 3. Then, following three processes running like this:

        PA                PB                        PC
                echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
                 shrink_slab
                  prune_dcache_sb
                  // ib and ia are added into lru, lru->ixa->ib->ia
                  prune_icache_sb
                   list_lru_walk_one
                    inode_lru_isolate
                     ixa->i_state |= I_FREEING // set inode state
                    inode_lru_isolate
                     __iget(ib)
                     spin_unlock(&ib->i_lock)
                     spin_unlock(lru_lock)
                                                   rm file B
                                                    ib->nlink = 0
 rm file A
  iput(ia)
   ubifs_evict_inode(ia)
    ubifs_jnl_delete_inode(ia)
     ubifs_jnl_write_inode(ia)
      make_reservation(BASEHD) // Lock wbuf->io_mutex
      ubifs_iget(ixa->i_ino)
       iget_locked
        find_inode_fast
         __wait_on_freeing_inode(ixa)
          |          iput(ib) // ib->nlink is 0, do evict
          |           ubifs_evict_inode
          |            ubifs_jnl_delete_inode(ib)
          ↓             ubifs_jnl_write_inode
     ABBA deadlock ←-----make_reservation(BASEHD)
                   dispose_list // cannot be executed by prune_icache_sb
                    wake_up_bit(&ixa->i_state)

Fix the possible deadlock by using new inode state flag I_LRU_ISOLATING
to pin the inode in memory while inode_lru_isolate() reclaims its pages
instead of using ordinary inode reference. This way inode deletion
cannot be triggered from inode_lru_isolate() thus avoiding the deadlock.
evict() is made to wait for I_LRU_ISOLATING to be cleared before
proceeding with inode cleanup.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-45003 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit e50e5129f384 and fixed in 5.4.283 with commit 3525ad25240d
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit e50e5129f384 and fixed in 5.10.225 with commit 03880af02a78
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit e50e5129f384 and fixed in 5.15.166 with commit cda54ec82c0f
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit e50e5129f384 and fixed in 6.1.107 with commit 437741eba63b
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit e50e5129f384 and fixed in 6.6.48 with commit b9bda5f6012d
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit e50e5129f384 and fixed in 6.10.7 with commit 9063ab49c11e
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit e50e5129f384 and fixed in 6.11 with commit 2a0629834cd8

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-45003
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/inode.c
	include/linux/fs.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3525ad25240dfdd8c78f3470911ed10aa727aa72
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/03880af02a78bc9a98b5a581f529cf709c88a9b8
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cda54ec82c0f9d05393242b20b13f69b083f7e88
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/437741eba63bf4e437e2beb5583f8633556a2b98
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b9bda5f6012dd00372f3a06a82ed8971a4c57c32
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9063ab49c11e9518a3f2352434bb276cc8134c5f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2a0629834cd82f05d424bbc193374f9a43d1f87d