Subject: CVE-2024-47680: f2fs: check discard support for conventional zones

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

f2fs: check discard support for conventional zones

As the helper function f2fs_bdev_support_discard() shows, f2fs checks if
the target block devices support discard by calling
bdev_max_discard_sectors() and bdev_is_zoned(). This check works well
for most cases, but it does not work for conventional zones on zoned
block devices. F2fs assumes that zoned block devices support discard,
and calls __submit_discard_cmd(). When __submit_discard_cmd() is called
for sequential write required zones, it works fine since
__submit_discard_cmd() issues zone reset commands instead of discard
commands. However, when __submit_discard_cmd() is called for
conventional zones, __blkdev_issue_discard() is called even when the
devices do not support discard.

The inappropriate __blkdev_issue_discard() call was not a problem before
the commit 30f1e7241422 ("block: move discard checks into the ioctl
handler") because __blkdev_issue_discard() checked if the target devices
support discard or not. If not, it returned EOPNOTSUPP. After the
commit, __blkdev_issue_discard() no longer checks it. It always returns
zero and sets NULL to the given bio pointer. This NULL pointer triggers
f2fs_bug_on() in __submit_discard_cmd(). The BUG is recreated with the
commands below at the umount step, where /dev/nullb0 is a zoned null_blk
with 5GB total size, 128MB zone size and 10 conventional zones.

$ mkfs.f2fs -f -m /dev/nullb0
$ mount /dev/nullb0 /mnt
$ for ((i=0;i<5;i++)); do dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/test bs=65536 count=1600 conv=fsync; done
$ umount /mnt

To fix the BUG, avoid the inappropriate __blkdev_issue_discard() call.
When discard is requested for conventional zones, check if the device
supports discard or not. If not, return EOPNOTSUPP.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-47680 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit 30f1e7241422 and fixed in 6.10.13 with commit 7bd7ce68ddad
	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit 30f1e7241422 and fixed in 6.11.2 with commit d2352b57897f
	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit 30f1e7241422 and fixed in 6.12-rc1 with commit 43aec4d01bd2

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-47680
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/f2fs/segment.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7bd7ce68ddad5a28565e42ef21cacaff113773a9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d2352b57897f6a3349666fc318dcbec99092c6a5
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/43aec4d01bd2ce961817a777b3846f8318f398e4