Subject: CVE-2024-50022: device-dax: correct pgoff align in dax_set_mapping()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

device-dax: correct pgoff align in dax_set_mapping()

pgoff should be aligned using ALIGN_DOWN() instead of ALIGN().  Otherwise,
vmf->address not aligned to fault_size will be aligned to the next
alignment, that can result in memory failure getting the wrong address.

It's a subtle situation that only can be observed in
page_mapped_in_vma() after the page is page fault handled by
dev_dax_huge_fault.  Generally, there is little chance to perform
page_mapped_in_vma in dev-dax's page unless in specific error injection
to the dax device to trigger an MCE - memory-failure.  In that case,
page_mapped_in_vma() will be triggered to determine which task is
accessing the failure address and kill that task in the end.

We used self-developed dax device (which is 2M aligned mapping) , to
perform error injection to random address.  It turned out that error
injected to non-2M-aligned address was causing endless MCE until panic.
Because page_mapped_in_vma() kept resulting wrong address and the task
accessing the failure address was never killed properly:

[ 3783.719419] Memory failure: 0x200c9742: recovery action for dax page: 
Recovered
[ 3784.049006] mce: Uncorrected hardware memory error in user-access at 
200c9742380
[ 3784.049190] Memory failure: 0x200c9742: recovery action for dax page: 
Recovered
[ 3784.448042] mce: Uncorrected hardware memory error in user-access at 
200c9742380
[ 3784.448186] Memory failure: 0x200c9742: recovery action for dax page: 
Recovered
[ 3784.792026] mce: Uncorrected hardware memory error in user-access at 
200c9742380
[ 3784.792179] Memory failure: 0x200c9742: recovery action for dax page: 
Recovered
[ 3785.162502] mce: Uncorrected hardware memory error in user-access at 
200c9742380
[ 3785.162633] Memory failure: 0x200c9742: recovery action for dax page: 
Recovered
[ 3785.461116] mce: Uncorrected hardware memory error in user-access at 
200c9742380
[ 3785.461247] Memory failure: 0x200c9742: recovery action for dax page: 
Recovered
[ 3785.764730] mce: Uncorrected hardware memory error in user-access at 
200c9742380
[ 3785.764859] Memory failure: 0x200c9742: recovery action for dax page: 
Recovered
[ 3786.042128] mce: Uncorrected hardware memory error in user-access at 
200c9742380
[ 3786.042259] Memory failure: 0x200c9742: recovery action for dax page: 
Recovered
[ 3786.464293] mce: Uncorrected hardware memory error in user-access at 
200c9742380
[ 3786.464423] Memory failure: 0x200c9742: recovery action for dax page: 
Recovered
[ 3786.818090] mce: Uncorrected hardware memory error in user-access at 
200c9742380
[ 3786.818217] Memory failure: 0x200c9742: recovery action for dax page: 
Recovered
[ 3787.085297] mce: Uncorrected hardware memory error in user-access at 
200c9742380
[ 3787.085424] Memory failure: 0x200c9742: recovery action for dax page: 
Recovered

It took us several weeks to pinpoint this problem,  but we eventually
used bpftrace to trace the page fault and mce address and successfully
identified the issue.

Joao added:

; Likely we never reproduce in production because we always pin
: device-dax regions in the region align they provide (Qemu does
: similarly with prealloc in hugetlb/file backed memory).  I think this
: bug requires that we touch *unpinned* device-dax regions unaligned to
: the device-dax selected alignment (page size i.e.  4K/2M/1G)

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-50022 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit b9b5777f09be and fixed in 6.1.113 with commit 9c4198dfdca8
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit b9b5777f09be and fixed in 6.6.57 with commit b822007e8db3
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit b9b5777f09be and fixed in 6.11.4 with commit e877427d2181
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit b9b5777f09be and fixed in 6.12-rc3 with commit 7fcbd9785d4c

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-50022
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/dax/device.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9c4198dfdca818c5ce19c764d90eabd156bbc6da
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b822007e8db341d6f175c645ed79866db501ad86
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e877427d218159ac29c9326100920d24330c9ee6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7fcbd9785d4c17ea533c42f20a9083a83f301fa6