Subject: CVE-2024-50028: thermal: core: Reference count the zone in thermal_zone_get_by_id()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

thermal: core: Reference count the zone in thermal_zone_get_by_id()

There are places in the thermal netlink code where nothing prevents
the thermal zone object from going away while being accessed after it
has been returned by thermal_zone_get_by_id().

To address this, make thermal_zone_get_by_id() get a reference on the
thermal zone device object to be returned with the help of get_device(),
under thermal_list_lock, and adjust all of its callers to this change
with the help of the cleanup.h infrastructure.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-50028 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.9 with commit 1ce50e7d408e and fixed in 6.11.4 with commit c95538b286ef
	Issue introduced in 5.9 with commit 1ce50e7d408e and fixed in 6.12-rc3 with commit a42a5839f400

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-50028
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/thermal/thermal_core.c
	drivers/thermal/thermal_core.h
	drivers/thermal/thermal_netlink.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c95538b286efc6109c987e97a051bc7844ede802
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a42a5839f400e929c489bb1b58f54596c4535167