Re: [oc] hardware compatibility and patent infringement

on 9/12/00 22:16, ABP at ab@cataloniamail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As some people in Opencores are developing cores compatibles with
> designs protected by patents and copyrights I thought it was a good idea
> to ask about "hardware compatibility and patent infringement" in this
> mailing list.

If understand US laws correctly, you can write cores and place them on
the web site without having to worry about this subject.
It's when you start implementing the cores, when you might get in trouble.

A good example re various "cracks" that are posted all over the internet.

> I would appreciate any information/answer you could give to the
> following questions:
>
> 1. In general, What's the way to design a hardware processor (device)
> compatible with the instruction set (specifications) of another
> processor (device) without infringement of patents?

Typically instruction sets are copyrighted, not patented.

> 2. If someone implements a processor compatible with the instruction set
> of another processor but without copying anything else from that
> original processor apart from the original instruction set, will that be
> patent infringement?

That would be copyright infringement if the instruction set was copyrighted.

You could always mangle the bits around, and later un-mangle them again !

> Please, point me to any good source of information on the matter that
> you might know.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> A. Petit

rudi