RE: [oc] Legal projects that can be worked on.

Here is my take on patents.

Well, with patents in the US system, it is allowed for a
person to study and implement a solution based on someone else's patent.
With the condition that if you sell the item, then you get a license for the
patent.
The patent holder is not required to sell you a license and therefore can
stop you from selling the implementation.
Patents were built to share technology for a price, a limited monopoly.

This is to our advantage as Opencores is a non profit group and
does not sell anything for a profit.

As long as you don't intend to sell the implementation, then you can
"research"
the idea as much as you want.  It would even be good to know if you ran into
a patented idea so that the OC group could try to invent around the patent,
release
the idea to which this would count as prior art preventing further
patenting.

What I want know is what is Copyrightable in the design world? Instruction
sets?
Signal names? Specs? Not sure how much protection a company can exert on
their
product or spec.

Regards,
  Sam Gladstone