[usb] IP Core vs. USB chip...

We're working on an update to an existing USB design based on a
NetChip chip.

I want to consider using a licensed USB 2.0 IP Core (Asic.ws' OC),
but I'm unclear on the benefits of going this route.

I understand the benefits of much of the logic being easily updated by
downloading a new version to the FPGA etc.

But I don't see the financial benefits.  The IP Cores I've read about all
require a PHY chip that takes up about as much board space and traces
as a dedicated USB chip.  (it was posted that USB OC used an Agere
PHY which happens to have the exact same number of pins/balls as the
Agere USB chip)

Then there is the normal $15k-$20k startup license fee, which I
suppose the OC doesn't incur.  You need a lot more unit volume than
we have if the $8-$10 difference between a PHY and full USB chip is
going to pay off.

I am wondering if there are any USB IP Cores that require only a USB
transceiver external to the FPGA?  So basically only 4 pins and traces
would be required.

Thank you for any info.

Ken