Re: [oc] file organization

The question of file organisation is
related to what I have just posted on
a server for cores.  I spotted this thread
after my server post.

Some suggestions.

1)

Instead of a simple heirarchy, I would suggest using
a relational database.  For example, a cordic core
should have the property 'cordic' attached to it.
That way it could be grouped with all other cordic
cores.  At the same time alternative groupings would
be possible such as behavioural, structural, vhdl, verilog,
pcb design and so on.  Everything that can be done with a
heirarchy can be done with a relational database (+ lots more).

The existing heirarchical opencores web pages could be
generated automatically from the relational database.

Irrespective of what format it chosen, it should be able
to be easily manipulated by a machine.

2)

The key to reuse and inviting people to extend existing
work is *CLEAR* CONCISE DOCUMENTATION.

Perhaps a generic interface language (such as the C++
ABI) could be used to document the interface to each core,
encouraging reuse?

Best wishes
John