From: Richard Herveille [mailto:richard@asics.ws]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 3:14 AM
To: cores@opencores.org
Subject: Re: [oc] Re: Need a little direction

>We want to create the following platform and we would appreciate all help.
>We would even try and support the efforts in reasonable financial ways.
>
>1. BOM should not cross USD $50.
>2. Should have wireless (Bluetooth, short range)
>3. Should have 32MB Flash
>4. Should have 256 MB SDRAM
>5. Should have two PC Card slots.
>6. CPU (could be a SOC)
>
>After doing considerable search, there are some of the options
>1. taking the SA1110 reference design and depopoulate the board
extensively.
>2. design from scratch
>
>Now biggest thing to be descided is what SOC/CPU to use. The options are
>(you can suggest more)
>1. StrongArm from Intel
>2. DragonBall MX1 from Motorola (would be mass produced in March 2002),
>having integrated support for bluetooth and cost less than $25, they claim.
>3. AMD Elan processors (they are x86, and they consume as i am told too
much
>power, but they are cheaper)

Depends also on the computation power you need, take a look at these too:
1) Motorola Coldfire (e.g. MCF5206e)
2) Intel XScale (next generation StrongArm)

Both are available at the moment. I know for sure that the MCF5206e should
be available below USD10,=.

>The massive amount of SDRAM (I guess they are faster than flash and lot
>cheaper too) , is for big enough RAM filesystem, which can then download
>content from masterstation, like MP3 and MPEG video etc to be streamed on
>wireless (BT), this content would get lost if power goes off, which we
>believe is not the most often case.(the unit would be externally powered)
>and would have battery for maybe 1 hour operation.

Nasty about SDRAMs is the huge amount of power they consume during refresh.
You could try to look at Micron's (www.micron.com) BatRAMs which are
special SDRAMs for battery operated devices.

Most SoC processor do not feature a SDRAM interface, but that could be
easily implemented in an FPGA. You need some glue-logic anyway. Also
instead of using PC-CARDS look at the Compact-Flash devices. They are much
smaller, lighter and use less power. But above all, everything memory size
available for PC-CARD is also available for CompactFlash. IBM's MicroDrive
is a CompactFlash type-II true harddisk (up to 1GigaByte !!!!!). Also very
nice about the CompactFlash is that is can be controlled using a simple IDE
interface, the OCIDEC-1 core available from OpenCores is ideal for this
purpose.

For an FPGA I would recommend Altera's APEX, or Xilinx's Spartan-II devices.

To be honest sounds almost like a board I developed :-)).

Richard