Re: [oc] Multi-layer PCB boards, can it be done in your kitchen?

Hi,

> in my never-ending quest to get a XC2S200-6FG456C mounted onto a
development
> board for
> my I/O hungry projects I was wondering if anybody had experience of
either:

> 1. making their own multi-layer PCB boards or
>
> 2. how much would it cost for say a run of 50 boards to be manufactured by
> PCB fabricator
> would be?
>
> If you design the boards layer by layer, glue them together, drill the
holes
> and fix the
> mounting posts for the inter-layer connections can it be done at home? I'm
> not equipped
> to try this just yet but I foresee this as being the only way to get a
> 456-Spartan II
> onto my own boards at the moment. Are the virgin copper clad boards of
> sufficient quality
> to allow this overlaying?

Hmmm... I'm in the same shoe with an FG256 package: I can find no
manufacturer to make the PCB, however I won't consider switching to a garage
project: You will need 0.65mm via pads with 0.3mm holes according to xilinx'
recommendation. And with even 0.6mm via pads you'll need 0.13mm line widths
and clearance to be able to route your BGA package. That's not what I would
try. Not to mention hole plating... And than there's the problem of getting
the chip on the PCB.

But to be a little constructive: I know a couple of Hungarian PCB
manufacturers who work for reasonable prices, do even single PCBs, can
produce multiple layers. Unfortunatly they can't go down to this technology.
I've just payed ~50Euros for a 10x20cm two layered PCB. If you are in Europe
this might be a solution even adding up the P&P costs.

> On a simpler note, does anybody know a good source for SIMM or DIMM
sockets?
> I need some
> serious storage space on my FPGA board so am going to fit some SIMM
sockets
> onto it. I
> can also fit DIMMs but their high I/O count and high density connectors
will
> make the
> soldering a pain until I can get a DIMM daughterboard made up so prefer
> SIMMs for now.
> I have quite a few old 4MB, 8MB,16MB and 32MB SIMMs just sitting here
> collecting dust
> so might as well use them for something.

Again: which country? I've just tracked down one in Hungary. Haven't ordered
any though...
They're called MSC, their web-site is http://www.msc-ge.com. They are an
international firm
and deliver you small quantities also if they have them at stock. I know
they have some 72-pin SIMM sockets.

Regards,
Andras Tantos