Re: [oc] Modular FPGA board (PCI)

From: "Richard Herveille" <richard@asics.ws>
To: <cores@opencores.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 4:35 AM
Subject: Re: [oc] Modular FPGA board (PCI)

A few comments on the comments !

>A few comments on this:

>Paul,
>
>Just to repeat my concern, 'standard' 33Mhz 32 bit slots in PC's use 5V
>signalling.
>
>The pci connector has a keyed section, which must mate up with a
>corresponding slot in the plug in card. This key slot can be in one of two
>positions (actually the connector is just rotated 180) which indicate
>whether the motherboard uses 5v or 3v3 signalling.  Many plug in pc cards
>are 'universal' which means they have two slots and can fit in any hole -
>this is possible by powering the ASIC's IO ring with the VIO supply on the
>PCI connector.
>This is not possible using virtex FPGA's as VCC_IO cannot be 5V.

Doesn't matter. As long as the IO's can handle the over-voltage. Some FPGAs
use 3v3 IOrings, but have dedicated IOpads which can handle 5v signals.
This is normally taken care of by terminating diodes in the IOpads.

MIKEJ : agreed - I was attempting to point out that universal cards should
power
the output drivers from VCC_IO  which can only be 3v3 in a bus which
contains
3v3 slots or the 3v3 power rail itself. (pci spec 2.2 page 114).
Therefore a card in a 3v3 slot does not need to be 5v tolerant - in theory
at least.
Anyone know any different?
As you say the important point for universal cards is that the inputs are
tolerant upto
5v as in the case of virtex 1 and sparten2.

>If you can guarantee the dev board will only go in 3v3 slots (and these are
>still quite rare) then everything will be fine.

Not true. PCI has set a course where eventually 5v devices won't be
supported anymore, but there's still a long time to go. This means even
though your board is a pure 3v3 design, PCI signals can still reach 5v.
This is caused by other boards in the system (or even the system) which use
5v output drivers.

MIKEJ : disagree, see above

>I'm not sure you can get away with external buffers around the FPGA for
PCI.
>as was suggested :
>1, as the signals are bi-directional you would have terrible timing
problems
>and two loads per net - which is illegal

the rest has been trimmed as we got told off !

Cheers,
MikeJ