Re: [oc] DPLL

Hi,

This is much too simplistic. When the channel acts as a sort of a
filter, you get ISI and you need an equalizer. This will not only effect
the bit clock sync but also phase sync and performance of the reciever.

This is however not a must in all systems, and does not relay on delay.
Fading only makes your SNR worse which effects everything.
There are many methods to recover bit clock, to name a few:
1. Pass the signal through a non-linear filter, and filter it around the
bit clock frequency.
2. Phase lock loop with feedback being the (S(clock-delta) -
S(clock+delta))*(sign(S(clock))
    * not completely sure I got it right here, but this is about right
anyway

you can get a lot of information about bit clock recovery from text
books in digital communication.

So equalizer or no equalizer depends on your channel and is not a must
for many satellite communication systems (doesn't hurt though usualy).

hope that helps, please send any questions.

regards,
Lior