Re: [oc] Re: Need a little direction

> I didn't understand some of your points , When u say the that you want the
> openhardware to reach the masses do u mean consumer items ? something like
> a MP3 decoder or a high end IP router ?

When i say open hardware to reach the masses, i mean hardware that could be
developed very
cheaply with opencore components to make devices like for example,
intelligent parking meters,
lift controllers, door controllers, building automation controllers, devices
on bus stops to provide
useful information like bus schedules, last bus left, navigable map
providers, information booths etc,
list probably is as big as the imagination. I am talking of cheap devices
all around with which the user
can interact with his hardware, like mobile phones, PDA's etc.

But the important thing is that even with opencores its a far way to achieve
workable devices,
like for each hardware board you need to have linux or something ported,
what we need is a
demonstrable platform made from opencore with for example linux working on
it, which could
serve as starting point for companies or developers who want to make the
kind of devices
I mentioned above. Then only IMHO would the benefits reach the end users.
But then i might be sounding really stupid

With the expertise required for development of hardware board, locks a lot
of smaller
development firm in a kind of catch 22 situation. Either you need to have a
complete end to end, right
from board design to application development capability, or you just end up
paying so much for design costs, that finally
when the device is ready and you have your applications ready and running,
the price of the device
goes beyond commercial limits. I am of the opinion, that lot of the
functionality i mentioned (which i call
device personalities) come from applications running on the device. There
should be a open platform generic
enough to help such developer firms to escape the harsh hardware development
cost/knowledge.

That is why i am trying to get a generic enough platform , quite simple in
terms of hardware but could serve
as a platform which could give these smaller development firms to use and
write applications.

Ignore all the above, if i stopped making sense.