Re: [mu TECH] [mu SETUP] Laptop lockups

From: Johannes Niess (j.niess@uni-bonn.de)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 21:47:22 CET

At 09:34 PM 3/9/99 +0100, you wrote:
>At 13.47 08/03/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I like mulinux on my old Toshiba T1850 laptop (386SX25, 8MB RAM). The
>>installation was free of trouble and a previous full linux installation was
>>running forever without problems. With mulinux the laptop freezes after
>>some time (ca. 10 minutes). I can not reproduce the error, but I suspect
>>swap and serial. The lockups always occured at the command line and no
>>programm running. I have limited capabilities to telnet into the laptop,
>>so I did not try it.
>
> I am NOT a Linux user, and i am NOT a tech, but i'm asking myself...
>muLinux is a system that runs in memory. So, it may be that your laptop has
>got something like a "sleep" function, and this function automatically
>starts when you don't use hd for lot of time... Maybe this?!?! :D
> Mimmo

But the harddisk should start running again. The BIOS of this laptop is
older than APM. There is a apm.sys for DOS, but no support for it in linux.
The other thing: the harddisk is still spinning, I can hear that. In my
case linux is running from harddisk.
After enabeling swap space the machine does the linux part of the reboot
(unmounting disks, killing processes) but freezes after that. I can live
with this.
Even after torturing memory with about 7 xterms and scripts that call
itself I can not get these lockups again.

Johannes Niess