[mu OT] nomenclatura :-)

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer (khz@stardivision.de)
Date: Tue Apr 27 1999 - 20:32:42 CEST


Am 27.04.1999, 16:31:06, schrieb Michele Andreoli:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 06:59:44AM +0000, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> > <!-- Start of OT part: -->
> > Haven't you seen that great Constantin Basilika
> > up there in Germany ?

> This is a my old doubt: when we can say "Germany" and when we can say
> "Deutchland"? Are this interchangeble?
      ^^^^

If you say Deutschland, everything is fine.
Or you can say Germany and everything is fine as well.

Germany is just the english word for Deutschland.

The reason it that the english people don't know that there live
celtic tribes in germany as well as germanic tribes. :-) They think
that celtic people lived in Ireland, Britain, France... and germanic
people lived in Germany...

Correct is this:
The germanic tribes used to live at the right of the river Rhine and
the celtic tribes lived at the left of it. So since some very nice
and famous regions of germany are situated at the left side (remember
the beautifull Mosel valley) it in fact is not very fair to call the
whole country just Germany, but of course we got used to it and there
is nobody complaining about that name. :-))

Michele, be honest: did you ever hear about Konstantin Basilika ?

Perhaps you would like to have a look at it:
http://www.trier-online.de/images/basilika.jpg
To understand it's real size you should consider that the tiny little
person at the very right lower corner of the building is an adult
human being!
This house has been the throne hall of emperor Constantin the Great.
(build at about 300 past Jesus Christ) Inside it there is only ONE
very large room.

Or do you prefer a look at our little town gate?
http://www.trier-online.de/images/porta0.jpg
Probably you all know the Porta Nigra and i do not have to say
something about it ?
Ok, just in case some italian people do not know the facts, here is
some explanation, i recently found:
Con le sue notevoli dimensioni, 36 metri di lunghezza, 21,5 di
larghezza e 30 di altezza, questa porta romana la pi grande che
conosciamo.
E' realizzata con blocchi e conci murati a secco in una pietra che,
con il tempo, si annerita tanto da dare alla porta il nome attuale.

So you have seen the Porta Nigra and the Konstantin Basilika, please
imagine this: the size of the Konstantin Basilika is that great that
you could place the Porta Nigra just inside it without any problems,
there would be much space left at every side and on top of it!

Further information on the history of our nice village is tho be
admired here: http://www.trier-online.de/e_stadt.htm
Also a town map is also available:
<http://www.trier-online.de/denkmale.htm>. Just click at the red
numbers...

I hope to see you some day in Treviri and to get the chance to present
all it's fine sides, as i hope to come to Italia soon and have a look
at Micheangelo's Pieta in Rome again and to visit the other fine
places in your most interesting country!

Bye,

Karl-Heinz



This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.6 : Sat Feb 08 2003 - 15:27:12 CET