Re: [setup] ip masqing and dialing on demand

From: Michele Andreoli (andreoli@pisoft.it)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 22:13:06 CEST

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 10:48:47AM -0500, jeremy@visi.com wrote:
> I'm completely clueless on this, but there doesn't seem to
> be any FAQ to be had, so I'll ask anyway:

Firstly, your "ipfwadm setup" seems work?
This part is well tested, and I used it many times.

On the client, you have to reference your muLinux box as GATEWAY
for unresolved packets.

On the muLinux box, you have to put "" on the GATEWAY request and
to setup ipfwadm, enabling "ip masquerading".

Activate PPP on muLinux box, and try to navigate on Internet from
the client. I tested this with Win3.11, Win98 and WinNT, without
problems.

> Is setting up diald under mulinux any different than setting
> it up under anything else?

This is another problem. The answer is: yes. muLinux diald is only
a little script, based on accounting features of Linux kernel.
In this stage is crucial the NAMESERVER parameter in diald setup.
The kernel do accounting for any packets going to this host,
protocol UDP, port 53 (DNS port).
When a packet like it reach the kernel, the "diald" ultra-rustic
daemon weak-up and start PPP.

Diald is relatively not-tested because users don't tell me
anything about.

> I'm trying to use mulinux to build myself a router, to send
> my network traffic over the net when appropriate. Even
> though I set up mulinux through the interactive menu, it
> is not doing dial-on-demand...

After the diald setup, kill the daemon (ps, and kill -9 pid)
and start manually in debug mode:

                # diald -t

May be you can see some mesgs on the screen.

ciao,
Michele