Re: [mu ANNOUNCE] A new EXT.tgz

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 13:57:12 CEST

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 05:57:46PM -0400, HTom4722@aol.com nicely wrote:
> In a message dated 6/15/00 3:45:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
> m.andreoli@tin.it writes:
>
> > Apoligizing for confusion newly, I'm also uploading also a new EXT.tgz.
> >
> > This, together 9r4 main archive, resolve definitively the problem
> > of release mixing and mismatch for RCP.
> >
> > There is a probaility that this new is identical to old, I do not know.
>
> So you're not omniscient either, eh? I shall have to find someone else to
> worship, I suppose. :)

Omniscient? My knoledge is maniacal based, then more fractured :-)

> More seriously, I'd suggest numbering the various addons, EXTr012, EXTr013,
> ... to help everyone keep versions in order.

After that, I have to remove by hand, via ftp, the old images.
I do not know the amount of disk space at Sunsite I can use for muLinux,
but I can implement a different mechanism with save me a lot:
any new release uploaded in a new directory.

Example, the release 9r4 get:

        9r4/mulinux-9r4.tgz
        9r4/EXT,TCL, ....

In some case I, mantaining the same loader mulinux-version.tgz, wish
to change only addons. In this case, a solution should be to create
a directory called "alpha", with the new addons.

What you think?

> I'm currently changing their
> names by suffixing their download dates when I download them (today's will
> become EXT-15jun00), and then removing that suffix before using them. Adding
> any suffix permanently as I suggested, however, would require adjustments to
> lots of your scripts, and not wanting to volunteer to rewrite them, I now
> withdraw the suggestion.

You understand the point: Installer will be broken with this changes.
Finally, an old installer will be unable to download future addons.

I think the directory trick should be an acceptable solution.

Michele