Re: 486 box

From: Angel Martin Alganza (ama@ugr.es)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 23:06:36 CET

At 20:02 31/10/99 +0000, Richard Kirkcaldy wrote:

>I get along all right, but I haven't tried Netscape. Once software has
>loaded it is a fairly slow, but I can make do with it. Some software is
>fast once it has loaded, some is slow loading and running.

mmmhhh... I guess I have to go and try the software I need and see whether
or not it performs well enough fotr my purposes. If I simply could find
some docs on how to proceed not to have to do much research on my own...

>Well a LAN isn't going to be any faster than localhost is it? Especially
>if it was a busy network.

I was saying this because you said perhaps the limiting factor was the hard
disk... but anyway, most probably your'e right.

>I have found that win3.11 is faster than mulinux, so I would prefer to use
>that if possible. But I don't know that win3.11 is as good at networking,
>and it certainly isn't as good at security.

I don't think it is. I actually don't think any Windows could even be close
to any Linux system regarding networking, stability and/or security.
Security is not a big concern for those systems, since they are thoughts
just as "terminals" for users; but stability and ease of maintenance is an
important one... that's way I would like to go with Linux.

Cheers,
Angel

Angel MARTIN ALGANZA http://www.ugr.es/~ama/
Departamento de Genetica & Instituto de Biotecnologia
Campus de Fuentenueva. Universidad de Granada
E-18071 Granada - Spain Tel +34 958 248 926
mailto:ama@ugr.es ICQ#5334825 Fax +34 958 244 073