RE: x-windows on 386 4mb ram

From: winsor SMP (zoot@farts.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 03:35:17 CET

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) *grin*
Add a big meaty swap file or partition(cloned system only), kill off all uneeded proccesses before starting X and use the smallest window manager you can find............
Try
startx wm2
and start your apps from an xterm using something like
exec chimera &
the "&" allows the app to run in the background thus freeing up the xterm which can then be reused or closed to gain just a bit more memory back.
Using X on a 386 with 4 megs is going to be a bit slow, but if one is frugal in just what apps one runs can run at an entirely tolerable speed.
I'd also suggest editing the /etc/inittab file and get rid of an extra getty(vc's) or two as they use just a bit of memory.(I use only two getties on my 4 meg boxes)
In addition during setup configure only those services absolutely needed for your intended purposes, or better yet create several different profiles(configs) this can be done by merely running
setup -f -a
configuring the system,as desired for one intended purpose
and then issueing
setup -s <unique name>
with <unique name> being a different name for each different config profile, very similiar to the old menu driven configs that gamers used under DOS in yesteryear.
Mind you though, this will only work on a cloned system as the base diskette doesn't have enough room for more than one config.
Good luck

winsor