From: <peddiyogeshwar@vsnl.net>
To: <cores@opencores.org>
Cc: <shehryar.shaheen@ul.ie>
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 5:17 AM
Subject: Re: [oc] Programs in Xilinx Block RAM

> Hi,
>
> Use Core generator to generate your particular core.
>
> The inputs to the Core generator
> 1. Your options for the Block RAM inputs and outputs, that is whether it
should be a Single Port, Dual Port etc which you have to choose from the
Core generator GUI.
> 2. A coefficient file called "*.coe"file, the format of which you can get
from the user manual for the Block RAM.

> From these two inputs, you will get your desired *.edn file (core with
your desired boot program loaded into it).

> Also the core generator generates a file called *.ver file. This file
contains the templates of the Core that you need to instantiate into your
verilog code. The Core generator system generates the template file for vhdl
also, but I am not sure about the extension name for the file.

> For Synthesis purpose, you do not need the EDIF netlist of the block ram
core with the boot program in it. You just have to insert the templates, and
run. But make sure that the the `include directives point to the exact
location of your XilinxCoreLib directory.

> For the Place and Route you will definitely require the *.edn core files.
They should be placed in your project directory.

> Hope this helps.
> All The Best
> Yogeshwar
>

> shehryar.shaheen@ul.ie wrote
> Hi,
>      I intend to incorporate the Mini-Risc Core by Rudolf Usselmann with
an FTDMA (similar to ByteFlight) controller.

> What I need to know is how to synthesize programs in the program memory
(Xilinx Block RAM). The hex2v program generates
> a .rom file which is used within the test bench for simulations but for
sysnthesis how to synthesize the program within the Block RAM
> or if there is a way to dynamically download programs in the Block RAM.
>
> I am using Xilinx WebPack and XC2S200 -5C Spartan-II  FPGA.
>
> In the $WebPackRoot/bin/nt directory there is a generatecore.exe utility.
I rough guess I have that I would have to generate
> the Block RAM core with the program in it and then intantiate it in the
Desisgn before synthesis. The generate core utility gives the following
message

> C:\xilinx_webpack\bin\nt>generatecore
> Usage: generatecore [-cell <cellName>] [-component <componentName>]
[-targetArch

> <targetDeviceFamily>] [-library <libraryName>] [-package <packageName>]
> [-outputFile <outputFileName>] [-outputDirectory <outputDirectory>] [-p
> {<ppair>}] [-a {<apair>}] <simName>
>

> But guessing and experimenting won't work (at least not fast enough). I'll
be grateful if Rudolf Usselmann or any one else can