Re: [oc] design methodology

Depends on what you put in a function.

I like to use function (both in VHDL and Verilog) for up/down counters,
absolute value etc.

As long as the contents are simple, and you put registers in your main-code
than there's no difference.

At the end I guess it all comes down to coding styles and common sense.
Know what you type, know what you ask the compiler to do.