Re: [oc] RE: [pci] PCI core ( LICENSING )

Licenses again huh. Seems a never ending story.

Problem with the GPL style license are the terms 'linked' and 'derived work'.
We all UNDERSTAND that somebody who uses an OpenCores core in a proprietary
project does NOT have to open their proprietary core. Problem is that in fact
the OpenCores core and the proprietary cores are 'linked' together to form
one netlist. Someone then might argue that the entire project is a 'derived
work' from the OpenCores core and that the entire work needs to be opened. We
do not want that, but we should make sure that it is not up to a judge to
decide what to do. Therefore we need to clarify this in the
license/disclaimer header.

eCos faced the same problem. In eCos 2.0 they slightly modified the license
and disclaimer header (see below)

// This file is part of eCos, the Embedded Configurable Operating System.
// Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Red Hat, Inc.
//
// eCos is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
// the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
// Software Foundation; either version 2 or (at your option) any later
version.
//
// eCos is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY
// WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
// FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License
// for more details.
//
// You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
// with eCos; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
// 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA.
//
// As a special exception, if other files instantiate templates or use macros
// or inline functions from this file, or you compile this file and link it
// with other works to produce a work based on this file, this file does not
// by itself cause the resulting work to be covered by the GNU General Public
// License. However the source code for this file must still be made available
// in accordance with section (3) of the GNU General Public License.
//
// This exception does not invalidate any other reasons why a work based on
// this file might be covered by the GNU General Public License.
//
// Alternative licenses for eCos may be arranged by contacting Red Hat, Inc.
// at http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/ecos-license/

Interresting here is the exception clause. This is exactly what we want. I
therefore suggest adding this exception clause to all cores using a GPL style
license.

Richard