Re: [oc] Xscale, etc. and IP

Hi,

 These days, increasingly I keep hearing the name
Xscale CPU. Why is it getting so much attention?

Iam curious to know if their IP architecture makes the
difference or their physical design?

Thanks and regards,
Jayaprakash.

 --- Joachim_Strömbergson
<Joachim.Strombergson@InformAsic.com> wrote: > Aloha!

http://www.broadcom.com/cgi-bin/pr/prps.cgi?id=PR001218

http://www.e-insite.net/electronicnews/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA195184

> Before and during this time AMD itself have
> developed their own x86 based
> CPUs. When Compaq bought Digital, a large group of
> Alpha designers left and
> went to AMD and has been a good reason for the
> success of the Athlon CPUs.
> Some people also went to Intel and HP to work on
> IA64.
>
> AFAIK, when Intel bought the Alpha rights from
> Compaq about a year ago, some
> more of what was left of the Alpha team jumped ship
> to AMD too, and have been
> involved in the Hammer/Opteron development.
>
> Also note that Intel basically didn't touch the
> StrongARM design for years and
> it was made in old (0.35u I think) technology and
> yet continued to beat the
> competitors in MIPS/W. Finally, Intel did respin and
> started development again
> and what we now have are the very good Xscale MCUs.
>

> That's my 1 Euro version on the StrongARM/Xscale
> story. I'm sure I will get
> tons of emails correcting this timeline. Bring 'em
> on!
>
> --
> Med vänlig hälsning, Yours
>
> Joachim Strömbergson - Alltid i harmonisk svängning.
> VP, Research & Development

> InformAsic AB / Hugo Grauers gata 5B / SE-411 33
> GÖTEBORG / Sweden
> Tel: +46 31 68 54 90  Fax: +46 31 68 54 91  Mobile:
> +46 733 75 97 02
> E-mail: joachim.strombergson@informasic.com  Home:
> www.informasic.com

=====