Re: [oc] Automatic Core Metrics and Documentation

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 00:17, Graham Seaman wrote:

> > OC, uses CVS, most cores should be trackable by that. I
> > know I always add a CVS header in my source code that
> > automatically is updated by CVS.
> >
> Yes, but it's the existence of a more visible convention that helps more
> than the technical details. With software, I generally know that version
> 0.001 is just a preliminary sketch, that version 1.1 ought to work out
> of the box, and that the step from 1.2.1 to 1.2.2 is likely to be trivial
> while from 1.2.1 to 1.3 its likely be a big improvement. And I can see it
> usually by looking somewhere on the download web page.
>
> For the cores (unless I'm missing something on a page somewhere) I have
> to download the package, untar it, then grep for the version number. And
> then it seems that with some of the cores on opencores, different files
> have totally different version numbers (or none), and there's no overall
> version for the package. If it was possible to look at the project list
> and see not 'done', but 'version 0.1', 'version 1.0' etc it might be a
> better way for people to get a preliminary idea of how worth it is looking
> at a core, and also stop people who've downloaded something that's
> really only version 0.06 from complaining about the quality...
>
> Best
> Graham

Graham,

Each project [page] by default has a header which lists
if the project is in Alpha, Beta or Production stage
(there might be a few other choices I don't recall
exactly). Submitters can however modify/remove that
header.

Different files in a project may have different (sub)
version number. Sometimes you modify only a part of
the project.

Also on the 'Projects' page you can choose to view
only stable (production ready), or also include Beta,
or see all projects. Projects that are "done" and
considered to be ready for productions have a small
"done" icon next to them. (Just like "wbc" icon
points out that the IP Core is wishbone compliant).

Best Regards,
rudi