Re: [oc] Inquiry

Aloha!

Johan Klockars wrote:
> If you do use GPLed parts, that is a choice you make. Unlike using
> commercial components, this choice does not require you to pay anyone.
> Instead it requires you to contribute your additions to the increasing
> pool of GPL software.
> If that does not work for you, simply don't use the GPLed components.

Quite true. What has been discussed here though is that this might/will dampen
the adoption of OC in the industry. In that case the requirement of returning
changes back to the community (which is a nice idea btw) is a hindrance to the
adoption. And as you say it's a choice you as a user have to make.

> The GPL is not about your freedom as a developer, it is about the
> freedom of whomever receives the software that is derived from the
> GPLed parts.

Freedom to use *and* a requirement of keeping that freedom available for their
users. It's turtles all the way down.

I prefer a simple license that protects me from any problems related to people
using my stuff. A BSD-type of license. OTOH I haven't contributed very much in
terms of code so...
--
Med vänlig hälsning, Yours

VP, Research & Development