Re: AW: [itsbruce@netscape.net: Small Linux (was Re: Linux on 286)]

From: jeremy@visi.com
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 16:34:45 CET

On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 07:30:14PM -0600, winsor wrote:
> I'm sorry But I wouldn't change the messages and MOTD "one iota".
> This gives character and personality to MuLinux and to an extant, a
> degree of creativity and humor not usually associated with system
> programming.

I have to agree! When I first played with mulinux, I found the
messages to be very enjoyable. It's easy enough to figure out
what the messages mean--anyone with a passable grasp of english
can make perfect sense of them.

My good friend Jose and I spent about three hours playing with
mulinux the first time we downloaded--grinning at the very
nature of the distribution, and endlessly repeating "This
rocks!" To see grep rewritten as a shell script...ah,
what a joy. I believe we only spoke four different phrases
for those whole three hours--simply repeating them over and
over:

"This rocks!"
"This guy is a fucking maniac!"
"How the hell do you rewrite <insert program here> in shell?"
"No way!"

*shrug* I like the way mulinux's messages are. Perhaps
we could have an option on start up?

Proper English/MuLinux English (P/M)?

Just my $0.02

Jeremy