Re: Re: [oc] GNU LGPL license

> Ouch, this leads to the famous BSD fault.
> If anybody changes the license to (e.g. add123v ab.cd my_name), than the
user
> needs to list all these names.

I do not believe that that is what I said. Let me rewrite.

x) If you incorporate a core or multiple cores from opencores.org in your
product then a list of references to the core(s) used must be submitted to
opencores.org using the core reference form listed in appendix nn or using
the online reference form found at www.opencores.org/coresused. Upon
submission of this form opencores will immediately return a document
number. A reference to opencores.org and this document number must
be affixed and humanly readable on the product produced. Example:

    opencores.org #1234abcd-55

In addition to the above reference if your product ships with documentation
then this opencores license and a copy of the core reference document
must be included with this documentation.

y) If you modify a core then the modified version must be published at
opencores.org prior to use other than for purposes of development.
After said publication then clause x) holds.

z) Any and all modifications of cores must be submitted to opencores in
accordence with its project management rules. In all cases, resubmitted
works will be accompanied with this licenses unmodified and without
admendments. Once submitted to opencores.org the then current use
license, if different, will replace this license.

Comments:

If you produce a PCB with a PLD, ASIC, other device without
documentation then a reference to opencores.org and a document
number will accompany the device. e.g. sticker or printed on chip.
This means that the part does not have to ship with a CD-ROM.

The project management rules, not listed here, must include a rule
that permits the organization to edit submitted works. e.g. remove
spam or other promotional information.

Note, what is not addressed here is for example if you ship a SoC
product that includes a GNU LGPL license then you must abide by
the GNU LGPL license. e.g. ship a CD-ROM containing that portion
of the product covered by the GNU LGPL license (i.e. the runtime libray).

> > o) Derivative cores are described as modifications, no matter how
trivial,
> > to cores obtained from opencores.org. You are permitted to freely create
> > derivative cores but not use them for comercial purpose until after
> > submission of the derivative core back to opencores.org
>
> Not really, derivative cores can be based on a core from opencores, but
can
> be a totaly different one or include company proprietary or patented
stuff. I
> certainly want to see my cores in as much as projects as possible. The
more
> users the more chance bugs (if any :-)) are discovered.

As long as the company doesn't patent your core or worse patent
"improvements"
on your core making it unusable.

Jim Dempsey