From:  John Cooley  <jcooley@TheWorld.com>
Subject: Industry Gadfly  "VHDL, the new Latin"
Date: 09 Apr 2003 00:38:36 -0400

    !!!     "It's not a BUG,                         jcooley@TheWorld.com
   /o o\  /  it's a FEATURE!"                              (508) 429-4357
  (  >  )
   \ - /         INDUSTRY GADFLY: "VHDL, the new Latin"
   _] [_
                   by John Cooley, EE Times Columnist

      Holliston Poor Farm, P.O. Box 6222, Holliston, MA  01746-6222

When Synopsys CEO Aart De Geus stood up to give his key-note address at
DVcon'03, nobody expected him to say anything controversial.  It's not
his style.  So when he gave a talk on the history of the productivity gap
in EDA for the past 20 years, we all thought that everything was normal.

But subtly, during that talk, Aart put up three slides that showed Verilog
and VHDL as being what's here now, with only System Verilog being in the
future.  His final slide had an overlay stating that System Verilog is
100 percent backward-compatible with Verilog and that it thus will succeed
because it will let you keep all your old Verilog legacy code.  Aart closed
his speech by stating that Synopsys is committed to developing System
Verilog synthesis, simulation and analysis tools.

It was as if a smart bomb had hit the room.  The trade press and Wall Street
weenies considered the comments no more than a pitch for System Verilog.
But my fellow chip designers clearly saw the writing that Aart had put up on
the wall.  Verilog and VHDL may be here now, but in the future only a flavor
of Verilog will be left.

"I think Aart just said that VHDL is dead," Cliff Cummings of Sunburst
Designs, said to me in the awkward 30 seconds that followed Aart's speech.
"At least, that's what I think he said."  Consultant Stu Sutherland agreed
with Cliff.  "He said VHDL has no future.  That sounds pretty dead to me."
Then Dan Joyce and two of his co-workers from Hewlett-Packard walked up and
asked if Aart had just agreed with Joe.  (Back in the 1995 OVI conference
keynote address, Joe Costello, then the CEO of Cadence, had said that "VHDL
was a $400 million mistake.")

In the confusion, I got picked to approach Aart and ask him exactly what
he was saying about VHDL.

Aart replied that his R&D group wasn't developing any new VHDL-based tools,
but he also said it will take years to phase out VHDL because leaving
customers in the lurch would be bad form.  In short, he wasn't abandoning
VHDL as much as promoting System Verilog.  "This is a big statement.  We are
putting the Synopsys weight behind this language for RTL plus design," said
Aart.  "I do believe in the long term, though, that System Verilog will be
the dominant language."

So after years of the Verilog vs. VHDL wars, in one speech, Aart had kicked
VHDL out of the big-money ASIC flows.  And VHDL was now the new Latin; a
dead language supported only by a few obscure holdouts in the small-money
FPGA world.  Verilog (err -- make that a beefed-up Verilog) had won.

-----

    John Cooley runs the E-mail Synopsys Users Group (ESNUG), is a
    contract ASIC designer, and loves hearing from engineers at
    "jcooley@TheWorld.com" or (508) 429-4357.